Veterans' plates are issued to veterans who served:
- 180 days of regular active duty service (enlisted or drafted service) and a
last discharge or release under honorable conditions (does not include training), or
- 90 days of active duty service (Reservists or National Guard), one day of which
is during "wartime" and a last discharge or release under honorable conditions
(does not include training)
Veterans' are eligible for one (1) set of plates for each vehicle registered in his
or her name.
Procedure to Obtain Veterans' Plates:
You must present one of the following documents to a full service RMV office to verify your veteran status:
- Honorable Discharge, DD-214, Release from Active Duty paperwork
In addition to the verification listed above, you will need a copy of your current registration (if applicable), a signed and stamped Application for Registration & Title (RMV-1 Form) from your insurance agent (if a newly purchased vehicle), or a signed and stamped Application to Swap Plates (RMV-3 Form) from your insurance agent (if acquiring Veterans' plates on an existing registration), and the appropriate fee.
- Initial Registration Fee:$60
- Special Plate Fee:$40
- Renewal Fee: $100 every 2 years
Proceeds from the special plate fee for this plate go to the Chelsea and Holyoke Soldier's Homes.