Grey Market Vehicles

Vehicles manufactured for use in a foreign country, or that have been registered in a foreign country, that are brought to Massachusetts to be registered and/or titled, are called grey market vehicles. The owner of such a vehicle must present the RMV with a customs entry form at the time of registration or titling, along with an RMV-1 form, previous registration or certificate of title (if applicable) from the foreign country, and bills of sale showing chain of ownership.

What Kinds of Customs Entry Forms are Acceptable?
There are many different kinds of customs entry forms. However, the only acceptable ones for the purpose of registering or titling an imported vehicle in Massachusetts are the following:

  • Form CF 7501
  • Form CF 3299

A customer is issued a validated Form CF 7501 or CF 3299 by U.S. Customs only if the vehicle is determined to be in compliance with both U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards.

Any vehicle with a model year of 1996 and newer must meet Massachusetts’s emission standards and be OBDII compliant.  All cars and light trucks built and sold in the United States after January 1, 1996 were required to be OBD II equipped.


What if I Don’t Have a Customs Entry Form?
If the owner does not have a customs entry form, the owner must call U.S. Customs at any one of the following numbers, in order to learn how to obtain one:

Boston Area - 617) 565-6121, (617) 565-6123, (617) 565-8426, (617) 565-6118.
Worcester Area - (508) 793-0293


Printer icon, opens print window Print This Page

Translation Disabled  | Translation Support
Massachusetts Department of Transportation

MassDOT Twitter massrmv MassDOT Facebook MassDOT Youtube MassDOT Blog MassDOT Site Policies MassDOT Developer Resources