The Registry of Motor Vehicles today announced that they expect
driver license and ID card renewals to soar starting in December. Every 5 years we experience one year
with lower volume since we went from 4 to 5 year renewal cycle in
"For those customers with licenses in good standing renew online now and avoid the lines," said Registrar of Motor Vehicles Anne L. Collins. "You can renew up two months in advance on the RMV website."
Online renewal customers must meet the following qualifications:
- Your license must be in good standing, with no outstanding parking tickets, excise bills, warrants, or child support payments.
- Your current license photo must have been taken at age 21 or older.
- You must have a Class-D or Class-M license. CDL holders are not eligible.
- Your last license renewal was processed at a branch office
- You must pay by Visa, Discover, or Mastercard.
- You cannot make any changes to your name or other personal information.
- Your Social Security Number may no longer be used as your license number, under federal law. If you have not yet received a new license number, the RMV will assign one to you at renewal.
Customers not able to renew online should plan ahead and check branch locations and wait times online. The increased volumes will continue for the next few years. For more information or to check branch wait times and locations, visit http://www.massrmv.com/BranchMap.aspx.