Rider Training Outside of Massachusetts
The Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP) does recognize most Rider Education Programs that are certified and approved in another state. Massachusetts residents who take and pass a MSF certified motorcycle safety course in a different state are eligible to receive their Massachusetts motorcycle license/endorsement as long as they have a MA motorcycle permit AND submit the following paperwork within 180 days of the training:
- A completed Application to Accept an Out of State Motorcycle Rider Education Program Certificate
- A copy of your Massachusetts Motorcycle Learners Permit
- A copy of your Motorcycle Safety Foundation Completion Card
- A copy of your Rider Course Skill Evaluation and Knowledge Test on the schools letterhead.
- Payment of the $15.00 endorsement fee. Payments can be made by:
- Online using the Pay My Road Test/License Fees transaction
- Mailing to the address listed below (check or money order)
- In person at a Registry of Motor Vehicles branch
- Over the Phone:
- Step 1: Call 857-368-8000 (from the 339, 617, 781, or 857 area codes or outside of MA) or 800-858-3926 (from all other area codes in MA)
- Step 2: Say "Road Test"
- Step 3: Say "Pre-Pay"
- Step 4: Say your Permit Number. Do not be concerned when the system says "Scheduled Road Test"
- Step 5: Say your Date of Birth
- Step 6: The total should be $15.00. Pay with credit card
Paperwork can be mailed to:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
Massachusetts Rider Education Program
165 Liberty Street
Springfield, MA 01103
Attention Program Coordinator
Or faxed to 413-736-9873 - Attention Program Coordinator
For information about Rider Education Programs in other states please visit the sites below.
www.msf-usa.org - Motorcycle Safety Foundation Website
www.smsa.org - State Motorcycle Safety Administration Website
www.motorcycleawareness.com - for general information