Rider Training Outside of Massachusetts

The Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP) does does recognize other Rider Education Programs as long as they use the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) rider course (Basic Rider Course or Experience Rider Course Suite) curriculum. Massachusetts residents who take and pass a MSF certified motorcycle safety course in a different state are eligible to receive their Massachusetts motorcycle license/endorsement as long as they submit the following paperwork within 180 days of the training;

  1. A completed Application to Accept an Out of State Motorcycle Rider Education Program Certificate
  2. A copy of your Massachusetts Motorcycle Learners Permit
  3. A copy of your Motorcycle Safety Foundation Completion Card
  4. A copy of your Rider Course Skill Evaluation and Knowledge Test on the schools letterhead.
  5. Payment of the $15.00 endorsement fee. Payments can be made by:
    1. Mailing to the address listed below (check or money order)
    2. In person at a Registry of Motor Vehicles branch
    3. Over the phone by calling the RMV's Telephone Center (857-368-8000) or by using a credit card:
      When prompted, press 3 for “Road Test” and then press 4 for “Pre-payment”

Paperwork can be mailed to:

Registry of Motor Vehicles
Massachusetts Rider Education Program
165 Liberty Street
Springfield, MA 01103
Attention Program Coordinator

Or faxed to 413-736-9873 - Attention Program Coordinator

For information about Rider Education Programs in other states please visit the sites below.

www.msf-usa.org - Motorcycle Safety Foundation Website

www.smsa.org - State Motorcycle Safety Administration Website

www.motorcycleawareness.com - for general information

Printer icon, opens print window Print This Page

Translation Disabled  | Translation Support
Massachusetts Department of Transportation

MassDOT Twitter massrmv MassDOT Facebook MassDOT Youtube MassDOT Blog MassDOT Site Policies MassDOT Developer Resources