Electronic Vehicle Registration
RMV issues and General Registration questions should not be directed to EVR Service Providers.
Do not call the companies listed below for RMV-related information.
For all General Questions, please contact the RMV directly.
EVR has 2 Service Providers available for you to choose from
Computerized Vehicle Registration (CVR)
Northeast Region Account Manager
800-876-2312 ext. 4645
The RMV and your Service Provider support you in these ways:
- Resolving operational problems
- Supplying necessary materials
- Providing technical support
- Monitoring paperwork processing and accuracy
- Assessing your problems and assuring performance compliance (by review of monthly transaction counts)
- Providing ongoing training
- Providing a Help Line
- Performing audits
Cost Benefit Analysis
Service Provider(s) can provide you with a cost benefit analysis. The cost analysis takes into account such issues as the size and volume of your business; the cost, if any, of redesigning offices for security reasons; and personnel needed for EVR support.
Additional security costs may include providing a secure place and/or equipment to store inventory received from the RMV. A cost analysis can assist you in making a decision to join EVR. However, you make the final decision if joining EVR would be to your benefit.
The EVR system is supplied through a Service Provider (third party) who works with the RMV to provide End Users (that is, YOU) with a computer based system that gives you the ability to register and title vehicles by electronic means.
Service Providers build and maintain features that allow the system to function such as hardware, software, and network communications.
The RMV provides you with materials and authorization to process your customers vehicle registrations and make initial applications for their vehicle titles.
What is EVR?
Vehicle Registration (EVR) lets RMV approved End Users process registration
transactions and title applications through an electronic link to a
Service Provider and the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV).
If you are an authorized End User, you may perform the following registry
- Registration renewals
- Issue new plates and decals
- Transfer plates between vehicles
- Collect title information
- Process certain renewals
- Change a customer's address in the RMV database, if necessary
- Vehicle registration
Benefits of EVR
EVR offers you and your customers several benefits:
- Providing immediate, remote registration of vehicles
- Eliminating the need to wait in line for vehicle registrations
- Providing better and more efficient RMV service remotely
- Providing access to the most up-to-date information for your customers
- Providing the ability to update customer data instantly
- Reducing the dependency on RMV customer service center offices
With EVR, everyone
is a winner. Dealers and insurance agents win because they save time
and money, customers win because they get one-stop shopping without
the wait for registration and title application processing, and the
RMV wins because customers can be served efficiently.
Performance Standards id="performance"
Your Business Organization (EVR staff) must fulfill these requirements:
- Process 95% of EVR eligible transactions within 120 days after issue of the End User's EVR permit
- Process 100% of EVR eligible transactions within 180 days after issue of the End User's EVR permit
- Ensure that the work processed is accurate, complete, and conforms to the policies and procedures required by the EVR program and the RMV
- Work with an RMV quality assurance team, when necessary, to correct and improve transaction processing
- Attend periodic training
- Work with the RMV field investigators
- Review RMV Policy and Procedure Updates and ensure staff compliance
The RMV, Service Provider(s), and End Users (that is, you) cooperate by electronic means to process vehicle registrations and apply for titles, as well as collect fees and sales taxes that are transferred from your account by electronic funds transfer (EFT) through a Service Provider account to the RMV.
End User Responsibilities
You must follow several steps:
- Enter into an agreement with an RMV approved Service Provider.
- Meet requirements of the End User Permit
- Acquire permit bond
- Provide evidence of general liability insurance coverage
- Provide evidence of tax compliance
- Maintain three RMV trained personnel
- Meet security requirements and submit a floor plan
- Obtain appropriate business licenses and certificates
- Obtain an Agent's License from the Division of Insurance (DOI), if your business is an agency,
- Bear all costs associated with the program's computer hardware, labor, electronic interface system charges, and transaction processing, mailing, and ordering and shipping costs of required inventory and supplies.
Public Conduct of Your Business
You must comply with several requirements:
- Be a Massachusetts
Class I or Class II licensed automobile dealer or an insurance agent
licensed with the Division of Insurance
- Maintain and operate an office in Massachusetts
- Comply with all rules, policies and procedures, and standards applicable to EVR
- Comply with all applicable laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Obtain RMV authorization before displaying or distributing media that advertises your participation in EVR
You must comply with these standards:
- Assume responsibility for the safekeeping and lawful use of all RMV inventory assigned to the End User business organization.
- Submit a written security plan for the control of all RMV inventory.
- Submit a floor plan similar to an architectural floor plan; this plan should clearly designate the EVR processing area.
- Maintain a secure location for processing transactions in accordance with required guidelines.
- Limit the handling of RMV inventory to authorized users only.
- Abide by storage and security measures as decided upon by the RMV in regard to RMV materials such as license plates, decals, and URD 1 forms.
- Keep funds received for registration, title or sales taxes separate from the End User's pursuit of business or other activities not related to EVR (that is, do not commingle funds).
- Ensure that records are kept in a single secure location at your site of business.