Research and Technology Transfer
The Research Section is responsible for the management of transportation research and the transfer of technology information that will help to further the mission of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation. The Research Section develops and manages the Research Program from within the Office of Transportation Planning.
What we do:
Research activities address key problems and issues in the areas of policy, management, safety, environment, planning, engineering, construction, operations, and maintenance as those areas relate to the Commonwealth’s responsibilities for the state highway, public transportation, and inter-modal transportation systems. Activities can range from support services for technology transfer to relatively large-scale, multi-year research projects on complex problems that require technical assistance from outside resources. Specific duties include:
- Identify research needs of MassDOT modal divisions and enterprise units.
- Execute research projects and manage corresponding contracts with agencies, consultants, and academic institutions.
- Support quality technical training and skill development opportunities for MassDOT employees through the MassDOT University and the Massachusetts Technical Assistance Program (MTAP).
- Oversee the Baystate Roads Program, Massachusetts’ Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP).
- Inform MassDOT personnel on ways to access available research products and encourage staff participation in state, regional and national research activities.
- Promote the implementation of key findings from research products through coordination between researchers and technical staff within MassDOT.
- Coordinate Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP2) activities.
For additional information, please contact:
Stephen Pepin, Manager of Research and Technology Transfer