The State Implementation Plan (SIP) – as approved in regulation by both the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – requires that MassDOT and the MBTA complete the following transportation improvement projects:
- Initiate passenger service on a Green Line Extension to Medford Hillside by December 31, 2014.
- Initiate passenger service on a Green Line Extension to Union Square (Somerville) by December 31, 2014.
- Complete final design and engineering for the Red Line/Blue Line Connector project – an underground connection between the Red and Blue Lines at Charles/MGH – by the December 31, 2011.
- Complete the upgrade of the MBTA Fairmount Commuter Rail Line, including the construction of four new stations: Four Corners (Dorchester) and one new station each in the Dorchester, Mattapan, and Roxbury neighborhoods by December 31, 2011.
- Construct 1,000 new parking spaces serving commuter transit facilities by December 31, 2011.
Together, these projects are intended to reduce certain air pollutants in eastern Massachusetts. Questions about the SIP projects should be directed to the Office of Transportation Planning