Barletta Heavy Division, Inc. is the prime contractor. Construction began in January 2015 and is expected to be completed in Spring 2019. MassDOT established an interim milestone requiring a portion of the new Kendrick Street Interchange to be open to traffic in Fall 2016.
The project has been split into five major stages to minimize impacts to the traveling public. Stage 1 (January 2015 to October 2015) includes the following:
- Widening the northern half of the Kendrick Street Bridge while maintaining the existing three lanes on the structure.
- Building Kendrick Street ramp bridge to I-95 NB.
- Commencing construction of the new Highland Street Bridge while maintaining traffic on the existing spans.
- Initial construction at the interchange of I-95 and Route 9.
- Demolition of the railroad bridge over I-95.
View the Project Overview page for more detailed information including the new Interchange Ramp Configurations.
Current Construction Activities: Week of August 22
Beginning after 8:00PM on Friday, August 19th, project team members will implement changes at the Kendrick Street Bridge. At this time pavement markings and signage to support these changes are in place. The changes will include:
- Drivers traveling eastbound (towards Newton) from Needham will have two through lanes across the bridge and will be able to access I-95 southbound (towards Dedham).
- Drivers traveling westbound (towards Needham) from Newton will have one through lane across the Kendrick Street Bridge and will be able to access I-95 southbound from a signalized, double left turn lane on the bridge.
- Drivers traveling northbound (towards I-90) on I-95 will be able to access Kendrick Street eastbound, but not westbound. This represents the permanent configuration at this location.
- The new interchange will be designated 19A.
Throughout the week of August 22nd, 2016, Barletta Heavy Division (BHD), MassDOT's contractor for the Route 128 Add-a-Lane Bridge V project, will continue construction operations. Work will be performed project-wide during the standard working hours of 7:00AM to 3:00PM
At Kendrick Street Ramp K1 (Kendrick Street Westbound to I-95 Northbound), forming, reinforcing, and pouring of bridge barrier will occur throughout the week.
At Highland Avenue, work will consist of installation of bridge screen, northbound timber piles, LTP, and geofabric. Relocation of Verizon utilities will continue. Work will also consist of full depth excavation and construction between H4 (Highland Avenue Eastbound to I-95 Northbound) and H3 (Kendrick Street Westbound to I-95 Northbound ramp to Highland Avenue east) and on the latter ramp as well. Relocation of utilities by Verizon will continue.
At Central Avenue and the Railroad Bridge, project team members will construct the median between Highland Avenue to the Railroad Bridge, and form, reinforce, and prep barrier throughout the week. Waterproofing of the arch will occur during the first half of the week, August 22nd through 24th.
At Route 9, installation of deck reinforcement, mechanically stabilized earth wall, drainage along the northbound shoulder, and wall and noise wall panels will occur. Roadway grading along the ledge cut, wall, and ramp W2 (I-95 Northbound to Route 9 Westbound) will occur.
On the I-95 mainline, installation of drainage crossings will occur Monday through Thursday, August 8th through 11th.
BHD will be closing lanes during off-peak hours to continue construction of all bridges. Lane closures are permitted and are necessary to create a safe work zone; drivers are asked to be aware of possible lane closures for their own safety and that of the project team. Please also note that all work is contingent upon the weather.
No meetings are planned at this time.
Please sign up for e-mail updates on the project. Send questions and comments to: NWi95@dot.state.ma.us
For additional information, please contact:
Nathaniel Curtis, Howard/Stein-Hudson, Public Involvement Specialist
Tel: (617)482-7080 x236
MassDOT Legislative Liaison