Traffic Advisory - Phase 2 Traffic Shift
Beginning on Friday, August 12th, 2016, the phase two traffic shift associated with the rehabilitation of the Belmont Street Bridge outside Lincoln Square will be activated. The shift will occur overnight and be in place by the morning commute on August 12th. As has been explained in public information meetings, the phase two traffic shift will include the following:
- Traffic on the Belmont Street Bridge will be shifted to the bridge's southern side with two lanes eastbound (towards Shrewsbury) and one lane westbound (towards Lincoln Square).
- The bridge's northern side will be turned over to construction activities.
- All existing traffic movements will be available from the I-290 off-ramp to Belmont Street
- Westbound (towards Lincoln Square) left-turns onto I-290 will not be available and a signed detour will be in place. This is a project requirement for the safety of the traveling public and temporary traffic control.
- Pedestrian movements through the work zone will still be made via the temporary footbridge immediately to the north of the Belmont Street Bridge. Pedestrians are reminded to cross with the signal or by direction of the police detail and always at designated crosswalks.
Motorists should allow extra time for their trip and observe all traffic control signage and police details to ensure their own safety, that of pedestrians and cyclists traversing the area and project team members at work.
For those wishing to access I-290 westbound from points east (towards Lake Quinsigamond) of Shrewsbury Street, begin on Belmont Street:
- Turn left onto Shrewsbury Street
- Take the first exit at the traffic circle to head north on Summer Street
- Signage will direct motorists to the I-290 on-ramp on the right
For those seeking to access I-290 westbound from points between Shrewsbury Street and I-290 such as the UMass Memorial Hospital Campus, begin on Belmont Street:
- Turn left to head south on Major Taylor Boulevard
- Turn left to head east on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
- Turn right to head south on Summer Street
- Signage will direct motorists to the I-290 on-ramp on the left
For more information review the detour map.