Chapter 233 of the Acts of 2008
An act financing an accelerated structurally-deficient bridge improvement program.
Goals and Objectives
Improve the Condition of the Commonwealth's Bridges
- Reduce the number of Structurally Deficient Bridges.
- Improve the overall Bridge Health Index of Massachusetts Bridges.
Stimulate Economic Development and Job Creation
- The Accelerated Bridge Program will create thousands of jobs across the Commonwealth.
Save Money By Completing Projects Sooner
- Repair bridges now before further costly deterioration can occur.
- Hedge against construction cost inflation.
Complete Projects Efficiently and Innovatively
- Complete projects on-time and on-budget.
- Complete projects with minimum disruption to people and commerce.
- Use Design-Build and other innovative contracting techniques.
- Focus on preservation and other strategies to improve the long-term condition of all Massachusetts bridges.
Access and Opportunity
- To ensure access and opportunity on the part of women and minority individuals and businesses by establishing specific goals for each aspect of the program.
- WBE/MBE Overall 14% utilization goal with a 10% race conscious goal and a 4% race neutral goal
- Women: contractor labor participation goal of 6.9%
- Minorities: contractor labor participation goal of 15.3%
- Women workforce participation goal of 24% in technical positions and 47.40% in non-technical positions
- Minority workforce participation goal of 10.48% in technical positions and 19.40% in non-technical positions
Transparency and Accountability
- Provide frequent and detailed reports to the public on the progress of the ABP.
- Develop overall project controls to ensure adherence to project schedules and budgets.
- Measure agency performance in streamlining design and construction schedules.