3-Week Look-Ahead: February 8th to February 26th
Throughout the three weeks covered by this look-ahead, drainage installation work will continue throughout the area formerly occupied by the overpass and at Shea Circle. Utilities work will take place on the Verizon cables adjacent to Orchardhill Road.
Also throughout the three weeks of this look-ahead, Feeney Brothers will continue performing gas line relocation and tie-in at the intersection of Washington Street/South Street (bottom of the Arborway Ramps). Scheduled work hours are 9PM to 3AM Sunday through Thursday.
During the week of February 8th to 12th, work in the eastern portion of the Arborway will focus on installing traffic signal conduits as well as installing lighting conduits and bases. The installation of traffic and lighting conduits will also take place in the western portion of the Arborway from Monday, February 8th to Friday, February 19th.
Throughout the center portion of the Arborway, utilities work on the MWRA water lines will begin on Tuesday, February 16th and continue on through Friday, February 26th.
No work will be conducted on Monday, February 15th for Presidents’ Day.
All work is subject to weather conditions.
For your safety:
Motorists: are reminded to reduce speed, pay close attention to all signals, pavement markings, signage and directions from police details. In particular:
- Yield to pedestrians on turns. This is particularly important at the intersection of New Washington Street/South Street where some motorists have been observed disregarding clearly visible signage.
- Please do not block the box at intersections. If you cannot clear the intersection on its opposite side, do not proceed until there is space for you to do so.
- Please do not turn onto Martinwood Road from South Street as a way to access Washington Street. Making this movement requires you to pass through two Do Not Enter signs. Doing so is both illegal and dangerous.
- Please do not take a left turn at the bottom of the eastbound off-ramp to South Street. This ramp is now right turn only from both lanes. This condition has been and will be enforced by State Police.
- Motorists with destinations on Hyde Park Avenue, Washington Street north of Forest Hills or east of Franklin Park are reminded to bear left on the Arborway east of Murray Circle to access the eastbound temporary roadway. Please do not exit to the right at the end of the Arborway unless you are bound for Forest Hills Station, Roslindale Square or points south on Washington Street. Making a loop around Forest Hills Station to go east to Shea Circle takes longer and is counterproductive to the successful operation of the temporary traffic set-up.
- Likewise, motorists seeking to access Shea Circle and points east should remain on the mainline Arborway. Using the Arborway Carriage Road to go east to Shea Circle ultimately takes longer and is counterproductive to the successful operation of the temporary traffic set-up.
Pedestrians: are reminded to please cross only at designated crosswalks. Any crosswalk which has been temporarily removed has been taken out for your safety. This applies particularly to the former crosswalk at the South Street end of New Washington Street and the former crosswalk on South Street at the Route 39 bus driveway. Pedestrian routing diagrams have been made available to WalkBoston, Livable Streets, were shared at the May public information meeting, and are posted in Forest Hills Station. To receive a routing diagram, please contact CaseyArborway.Construction@dot.state.ma.us.
Cyclists: are reminded that when passing over the connections between the Southwest Corridor Path and Washington Street or South Street, cyclists should reduce speed and watch for pedestrians as these are shared pathways. Cyclists may occupy the full lane within the work zone, but must obey all signage and signals.