Engineering students with an emphasis in Civil/Structural Engineering, Construction Management, and Environmental Engineering are eligible to apply for a hands-on, field-work intensive internship supporting a MassDOT Civil Engineer throughout the Commonwealth.
Program Duration, Hours and Compensation:
The Engineering Internship Program typically runs 14 weeks from June through the end of August. Students must commit to a full-time schedule for the internship period.
The standard work week is Monday through Friday and start times will vary depending upon placement. For current hourly pay rate please refer to the most recent job posting. Overtime is not available. Internship/Co-op positions with MassDOT are non-benefit, contract positions.
Program Job Description:
Engineering Interns will be evaluated on their ability to grasp concepts and assist MassDOT Civil Engineers in any the following areas:
- Preparing plans, designs, specifications and cost estimates for highway and bridge construction or maintenance projects.
- Providing data for the preparation of engineering or environmental reports and studies.
- Performing calculations such as those related to survey, traffic forecasting, soil capacity, groundwater flow and quantity of materials.
- Analyzing changes in scope of work during design and/or construction of projects.
- Conducting field investigations in order to gather information needed to resolve construction, maintenance, environmental or traffic problems.
- Reviewing applications for licenses or permits for the transportation of materials and for the construction of projects.
- Reviewing construction and service contract payment estimates and/or invoices for materials, equipment and supplies.
- Inspecting construction operations, such as drainage, steel placement, paving or concrete to ensure work is being performed according to specifications. Inspecting maintenance work, such as highway landscaping, repaving operations and snow and ice removal.
- Performing related duties such as writing memoranda, letters or general reports; collecting and correlating engineering data; maintaining records; and operating technical equipment.
Instructions for Applying:
It is important that you follow all of these instructions due to the large number of applicants and to ensure your paperwork is routed correctly. You will be contacted directly by the districts for an interview. To be eligible for the program you should have completed 2 years in an engineering program, must be a full time student for the current semester and be a full time student in the upcoming semester. You must also provide a statement from your college or university verifying your enrollment status. In order to successfully complete your internship, you will be required to give a presentation on your experience working at MassDOT at the end of the summer.
Applications will be accepted online each Spring. Create a job interest card and select "internships" to be notified by email when this year's posting is active. You can also search for the current posting on our employment opportunities page.